Published Books and Research Articles
Here's My Book:
I'm Working on Another One:
- When Old Technologies Were New: Thinking About Communication in the Late
Nineteenth Century (New York: Oxford University Press, 1988; paperback,
1990); Quando le Vecchie Technologie erano Nuove (Turin: VTET-Libreria,
Here Are Some Recent Articles:
- Capturing the Flag: The Symbolic Structure of Nationalism
This One's About Teaching:
- "Cheap But Not Easy: Democracy and Information Abundance," Communication
Review 1(1) (1996) (in press).
- "Fresh Blood, Public Meat: Rituals of Totem Regeneration in the 1992
Presidential Race," in Kathleen Hall Jamieson and Steven Chaffee, eds.,
special issue of Communication Research: Campaign '92: Communication and
the Political Process 21(3), June, 1994, pp. 264-292.
- "The Body of the Text: Literacy's Corporeal Constant," Quarterly Journal
of Speech 80(2), May, 1994, pp. 129-149.
- "The Forum: Bodies, Texts, and the Social Order: Response to
Bielefeldt," Quarterly Journal of Speech, Feb., 1995, pp. 103-107.
- "Theorizing the Flagbody: Symbolic Dimensions of the Flag Desecration
Debate, or, Why the Bill of Rights Does Not Fly in the Ballpark,"
Critical Studies in Mass Communication 8(2), June, 1991, pp. 119-138.
A Few Other Things on Technology:
- "Bad Attitudes, Unnatural Acts," Free Speech Yearbook 28 (1990), pp. 1-
Here's Some Stuff on Literacy:
- "Reconsidering James Carey: How Many Rituals Does it Take to Make an
Artifact?" American Journalism History 7(4) (Fall, 1990), pp. 216-226.
- "Experts, Black Boxes and Artifacts: New Categories in the Social
History of Electric Media," in Brenda Dervin, Larry Grossberg, Barbara
J. O'Keefe, and Ellen Wartella, eds. Rethinking Communication Vol. 2:
Paradigm Issues: Exemplars. (New York: Sage Publications, 1989),
- "Dazzling the Multitude: Imagining the Electric Light as a
Communications Medium," in Joseph J. Corn, ed., Imagining Tomorrow:
History, Technology, and the American Future, (Cambridge: M.I.T. Press,
1986), pp. 202-17. Reprinted in Mass Communication Review Yearbook, Vol.
6 (Beverly Hills, Ca.: Sage, 1987).
- "Fables for the Information Age: The Fisherman's Wishes," Illinois
Issues 8 (September, 1982), pp. 17-24.
- "Attributes of Authority: Literacy Tests and the Logic of Strategic
Conduct," Communications 11 (1988), pp. 63-82.
- "Literacy," essay for The International Encyclopedia of Communications
(Philadephia: Oxford/University of Pennsylvania Press, 1988), pp. 337-
- "Constructed and Reconstructed Discourse: Inscription and Talk in the
History of Literacy," Communications Research 11 (October, 1984), pp.