Visiting Scholar Opportunities
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING ANY ADDITIONAL VISITING SCHOLARS IN 2018-2019.
The Annenberg School for Communication provides opportunities for select scholars from other institutions to informally visit for a limited period of time (generally ranging from a week to a year). These short-term appointments are designed to provide visiting scholars with access to our intellectual resources, while also enriching the intellectual life of ASC and Penn.
Visitors are designated as follows:
- Visiting Senior Scholars: Academics who are of the Professorial, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, or Reader level, and professionals at a broadly comparable level in their field.
- Visiting Scholars: Academics who are in the early stages of their career, including advanced graduate students.
Visiting Senior Scholar and Visiting Scholars have access to the full spectrum academic resources at ASC and at Penn. They also can attend all academic events held at ASC and other parts of the University. Assistance will also be given to connect visitors to other relevant schools, departments, and programs at Penn as appropriate. Please note, however, that we can not provide financial support or private office space.
To apply to be a Visiting Senior Scholar or Visiting Scholar, please provide the following information:
- REQUIRED: Prior commitment on the part of the ASC Center or standing faculty member to act as your sponsor.
- A recent curriculum vitae or resume.
- A brief description of what you hope to accomplish during your stay (e.g., what research you will engage in and why ASC is the appropriate place to do this).
- A brief description of what you believe you could contribute to the ASC community (e.g., informal interactions with faculty and students; a lecture or workshop; teaching; etc.).
- Information about your sources of funding while you are visiting.
- Whether you will need a work permit or visa.
- Your proficiency in English.
- The start and end dates of your proposed visit.
Decisions on the appointment of Visiting Senior Scholars or Visiting Scholars are made on a rolling basis, but given the limited number of visitors we can accommodate, we encourage you to apply well in advance of your desired visit (particularly in the case of longer visits).
Please note that all international visiting scholars and fellows must adhere to University of Pennsylvania and U.S. Department of State guidelines. For more information on the J-1 visa process, please visit the University's International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) website at http://global.upenn.edu/isss/j1scholar.