Study Abroad and Transfer Credit

Courses taken outside the University of Pennsylvania may be considered for credit. These include courses completed at other universities by students transferring to Penn, courses taken for study abroad, and summer courses taken at other universities.

Credit is limited to courses judged to be academically comparable in scope and general focus to those typically offered at the Annenberg School. No more than three communication credits from outside universities may receive credit. Some courses offered as Communication courses elsewhere (e.g., advertising, marketing, literature) may be more appropriately considered for credit by another school or department at the University of Pennsylvania.

To request transfer credit, students must login to XCAT (External Course Approval Tool) and submit all course syllabi and other supporting materials to Alison Feather, Director of Student Services and Registrar.

Students planning to take one or more Communication courses abroad or away during the summer session should discuss their plans with Alison Feather in advance of enrollment. Evaluation of a current and complete syllabus of the course is required for final approval. Syllabi should include a complete list of assigned readings, weekly reading assignments and topics of discussion, and detailed instructions for projects and assignments. All submitted course materials must be in English. (Course materials that are not in English must be translated before submission.) 

Advance consultation for outside summer courses or study abroad is essential. Students who fail to obtain credit approval before registering for a Communication course outside of Penn may not fulfill major requirements because the courses for which they registered do not meet the threshold for School approval. 

Syllabi may be submitted in advance of enrollment if available, during the semester, or upon the student’s return. 

Approved course credit counts toward a student’s intermediate major requirements. Alternatively, approved courses may count for elective credit that helps fulfill degree requirements. Students seeking advanced major credit must submit a final paper and syllabus for the course for review by the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies. 

Meredith Brandt study abroad.jpg