General 2020-21 Information
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Annenberg School has limited its on-campus activities, in an effort to keep the community as safe as possible. During Summer 2021, a phased lifting of those restrictions is beginning.
Out of concern for the health and safety of the entire community, the Annenberg School has been conducting the majority of its operations remotely, asking the majority of the community to work from home. As both the University and the City of Philadelphia ease COVID-19-related restrictions, the Annenberg School too is revising its policies.
As communicated several weeks ago by Penn’s senior leadership, the university is planning for a repopulated campus in the Fall 2021 semester, and the Annenberg community will soon begin its return to campus in order to prepare for the start of in-person teaching, learning, and working.
Remote work will continue for the majority of the community through the month of June. Staff can fill out the Staff Building Access Request form during this time to request access to the building, and faculty can email Kelly Fernández.
The building will fully re-open to the Annenberg community on Tuesday, July 6 at 8am, and requests for access will no longer be required. Members of the school community are welcome to enter the building on weekdays between 8 am and 8 pm, and on Saturdays between 9 am and 5 pm. The building is closed on Sundays. (These hours are subject to change.) Admittance will be for active PennCard holders only, by card reader access at the Walnut Street entrance. Masks will continue to be required indoors.
During the month of July, remote work will continue for staff, however they will have the option to return to the building at their discretion and in the agreement with their manager. Phased return will take place in August. Please see the staff page for more information.
For more information on the University of Pennsylvania’s overall plans, please visit its COVID-19 Response page.
June Protocols for Annenberg School Facilities
The following protocols apply to the Annenberg School at 3620 Walnut Street during the month of June. Social distancing and other safety protocols also apply at the Annenberg facilities located at 3901 Walnut Street and Richards Hall, though individual building procedures may differ. Individuals who are not compliant with the identified protocols may be asked to leave the building.
- All Penn faculty, students, and staff must use the PennOpen Pass app in order to gain entry into any campus building. A green “CLEARED” Penn COVID Day Pass must be presented and displayed to building security upon each visit. Beginning July 1, faculty and staff who have recorded being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in their Workday record will no longer be required to use PennOpen Pass.
- Only Penn faculty, graduate students, staff, and approved contractors will be permitted access to the building until July 6.
- All visitors to 3620 Walnut St. will enter through the Walnut Street doors and exit through the 2nd floor Plaza Lobby. Entrance and exit signs will be clearly marked.
- Masks must be worn in the building at all times.
- Congregating in open spaces will not be permitted.
- Social interaction inside the building should be kept to a minimum and must always follow social distancing guidelines.
- Only one person at a time may occupy an office space or a printer/copier room.
- Office doors should be kept closed and individuals should knock before entering a closed office.
- Workstations and desk spaces should be disinfected before and after use.
- Only one person at a time may occupy an elevator.
- Only one person at a time should occupy a bathroom, even if the bathroom has multiple stalls.
- Where possible, individuals should use the bathroom closest to their geographic location, which will limit the number of individuals sharing these spaces.
- Suite 200 will only be accessible to those with offices in that area. Mail will be sorted every two weeks and delivered to mailboxes throughout the building. Please continue to have mail and packages delivered to your home. Email Rose Halligan with any questions about mail.
As announced by the University on June 1, all current faculty, staff, and postdocs are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than August 1, 2021. The University will be announcing a system to record their COVID-19 vaccination status securely and confidentially in Workday. In addition, students are required to be vaccinated for the fall semester.
Annenberg School Library
The Annenberg School Library will be closed through the end of Summer 2021, but Annenberg library staff are available remotely to assist with research, Canvas courseware support, streaming, and e-book requests. Starting July 6, you can also make an appointment to visit the Annenberg Library. Email Katie Rawson to set up a time.
Penn Libraries materials can be picked up outside of Van Pelt-Dietrich Library through Pickup at Penn or mailed to you through Books by Mail. For the latest on this and other library services, consult the Penn Libraries' Phased Service Availability FAQ. Please email Katie Rawson with any questions.
Requesting Building Access
- Staff who need access to the building during the month of June should complete the Staff Building Access Survey. In the Notes field, please include the day and time of the requested visit. Please note that requests will require justification and supervisor approval. When possible, please allow at least 48 hours for processing of requests. Beginning on July 1, this form will no longer be required, and the building will be open to the community.
- Faculty who need access to their office space through the end of June should email Kelly Fernández. In July, this will no longer be required.
- Graduate students who need access to their office space should review the Graduate Student Information page.
If You Are Sick
In accordance with current guidelines, if you are feeling unwell, seek medical guidance. Additionally, if you are unable to teach or work remotely due to illness, please email the following according to your role:
- Standing Faculty: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lecturer: ASCUndergradCourses@asc.upenn.edu
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Your faculty sponsor or the Dean’s office. If you are teaching this semester, please also email ASCUndergradCourses@asc.upenn.edu.
- Visiting Scholar: Your faculty sponsor. If you are teaching this semester, please also contact ASCGradCourses@asc.upenn.edu.
- Staff: Your supervisor and ASC-HR@asc.upenn.edu.
- Graduate Student: Your instructors and ASCGradCourses@asc.upenn.edu. If you are also a TF this semester, please also contact the faculty member to whom you are assigned.
- Undergraduate Student: Your instructor(s)
Beginning on May 18, 2021, the University ended its suspension on domestic and international Penn-related travel and moved to restricted status. A COVID-19 vaccination is required for this Penn-related travel. Please find more details on Penn's Travel Guidelines and Procedures page.
Official Resources Pages for COVID-19
The following organizations have set up official COVID-19 pages, in an effort to keep the public up-to-date:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- City of Philadelphia
- University of Pennsylvania's COVID-19 Resources Page
- University of Pennsylvania Human Resources Page for COVID-19