Payroll Guidelines & Procedures


The ASC Business Office is responsible for all payroll activity and should be notified of all new hires (and departures) via the ASC Intake/Outtake Form. The Intake/Outtake forms are completed by the appropriate staff administrator and should be submitted as well in advance of the arrival or departure date as possible.

New Hires

Required Paperwork for US Citizens:

  • Employee Information Form
  • Completed W-4 Form
  • Completed I-9 Form
  • Copy of social security card and an unexpired driver’s license or passport

Required Paperwork for Foreign Nationals:

Direct Deposit

To enroll in direct deposit, visit the U@Penn website and click on “Enroll in or Update Direct Deposit” on the left-hand side of the page. You will be prompted to enter your PennKey & password, and then your bank information.

Approximately one week after your start date you will receive an ADP Aline card in the mail. If your direct deposit has not processed by the time you receive your first pay, the funds will be deposited onto the Aline Card. For more information about the Aline Card and accessing your funds, visit the UPenn Comptroller's Office webpage here.

Time Reporting

Hourly and non-exempt weekly paid employees are required to submit an approved timesheet weekly. Timesheets are completed via the University's web-based eTimesheets system. Detailed instructions and FAQs for using eTimesheets can be found on the Human Resources eTimesheets webpage.

Payroll Taxes

PLEASE NOTE: The University prohibits school staff from giving tax advice or answering specific tax-related questions. Individuals with questions about payroll taxes should consult with the university Payroll Tax Office or an independent tax professional.

Information about general tax support can be found on the university's Payroll Tax website here

General questions regarding payroll taxes can be directed to the Employee Solution Center at 215-898-7372 or

The Payroll Tax Office also has a Help Desk Support Form. By using this form, users can create a request for information that will be processed by the Tax Help Desk. Users will receive an email confirmation with an assigned inquiry number, and a member of the Tax office will reply to the inquiry via email.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Work–Study Program is a federally-funded work program that provides funding to eligible undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to the student’s course of study, though this is not a requirement. The Work-Study Program is not a grant program. Students are paid for performing a service and they are paid only for the hours they actually work. Half of work-study wages are paid by federal funds and the other half by the employing unit.

For more information regarding the Federal Work-Study Program, please visit the Student Financial Services Office website.

To open a Work-Study position contact Kelly Anderson, ASC Business Administrator, at or (215) 898-2517.